Tuesday, July 02, 2013

I'm a gym bunny again!

I went to join up at a gym last month. Literally two days after I signed up, they closed for renovations. I didn't let that deter me, and I still signed up. I looked at it as a positive sign. Because not only did the gym change from one of those circuit-type places to a real gym, which is my preference, I was joining as a foundation member now, so I got bonuses I wouldn't have been able to pay for otherwise. Previously, I would have taken it as a sign I wasn't meant to join. The few weeks I had to wait would have put me off ever come back again. Patience, I'm learning, is a virtue.
After dropping the kiddo off at school, I had my first session at the gym today. I arrived half an hour early for my orientation. Turns out that was a good thing because I could squeeze into the earlier session. After being thoroughly shown around the gym, and liking what I saw, I was told this week was only for orientation. I couldn't book in for my 2nd session, where they set up my program etc, until Friday next week. It's an oh god o'clock appointment, but I spoke up first, in front of the lady who took the orientation with me, because the next available appointment after that was the following week.  And..because...Me, I come first, me! Much better than the old me who would have let the other one have first dibs!
I was glad to hear that we could use the gym in the mean time, especially since I'd used the interim to get a letter from my doc saying exercise = good. I hadn't been sure if we were allowed to use it so I was in thin tracksuit pants and a polo shirt. Which worked out fine, certainly better than if I'd gotten all excited and put on my new workout clothes..and then couldn't work out! When I started to overheat on the treadmill, I simply tucked my t-shirt up under my boobs/bra and kept going. 
After ten minutes on the treadmill...wow, slightly motion sick after getting back off that, that's new. (It was exactly like having to readjust to land legs after disembarking from a boat.) I admired the new weights and then happily settled into using them. Not as strong as I used to be, but not as weak as I thought I WOULD be. There are creaks and groans in dem bones, dem bones, dem shoulder bones when I do a shoulder presses now. Agian, I'll keep an eye on that new phenomenon. 
Feeling good after the weight session I decided on one more round of cardio, then a cool down. I by-passed the sexily, sleek spinning bikes, certainly not ready for those yet. I ignored the torture chamber that is known as the cross-trainer/elliptical, and headed for the regular bikes. (Recumbent bikes don't work, they hurt my back, plus try and garrote me with every bounce of my boobs/belly off my knees!) I managed five minutes on the bike. Well, at five minutes I pressed the cool down button and within twenty six seconds of that I'd progressed from feeling the pleasant wibble-wobbles that let me know my muscles have worked out, to the sickening wibblywobblys that let me know I've run out of juice...and should have stopped to have a snack.
My inner critic tried to argue that I had less than two minutes to go on the cool down, and I should finish what I started. I waffled for half a second and then said, "Fuck off! I want to be able to come back again this week."
"Stop!" said my body, so I did.
Now I'm waiting for my sandwich and yoghurt to stop the hungry wobbles, and avoiding eating anything else because I know I'm NOT still hungry, I'm just not registering the tank's got food in it yet. Remember to bring snacks and more water next time, and I'll be much better off.
 For the sake of my own record keeping, I was comfortable at 4.0-4.5kms per hour on the treadmill. Pushed it up to 5.0 for a couple of minutes then dropped back down to 4.5.
 

0 Nibbles: