Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Social Niceties.

I was going to attend a water aerobics class today, just for some variety. Misjudged the starting time, however, so went with my usual laps/walk. (Didn't help that when I arrived at the pool, it took me ten minutes to dig through lost and found to find my soap and shampoo/conditioner that I left there last week! Poor Alaskaboy, because he unpacked my bag, I'd blamed him for hiding it in some obscure place at home that made sense to him.)

Made sure I asked what the start time is for tomorrow so I can be in the pool ready to go. And since I'm doing the class tomorrow I made it a shorter easier workout today. Even started with walking first. Halfway through my second lap I realised my favourite lifeguard was back. Hadn't seen him around for a few months and assumed he'd gotten a different job. (Like them all, but he's more fun to talk about actual lap swimming with. And a more bubbly personality.)

After several more laps more of walking he wandered over to see how I was doing. "Hey how ya been? You not swimming today?"
"Good. I'm pregnant so I gotta take it a bit easier."
"Oh WOW! Congratulations. That's SO cool!"

We chatted a bit about how he's been doing (Turns out he's been on the morning shift.) And what it's like being pregnant. He was really curious as to whether swimming was allowed etc. I explained how I do swim, just not the same way I could before, and walking helps keep me from getting too fatigued but continues the workout.

Felt extra motivated to make sure my breaststroke arms were perfect when swimming past him later on, even though legs are only doing a very slow flutter kick. LOL

When my workout was done, I got out of the pool and he held the door open for me as I left the pool area. (All the male lifeguards seem to do that, plus a few of the female ones. Well-mannered young ladies'n'gents I guess. Or perhaps pool policy?) He was grinning fit to burst his face. He said, "Sorry, I'm being SUCH a dork, but I can't help it. I'm so happy for you. It's so cool!"

Isn't he a sweetie?

The ladies in the water aerobics group age from late fifties to early nineties and not once have I felt excluded by them as a young whippersnapper. They're even really glad that I'll be taking an actual class tomorrow.

It's so nice being surrounded by happy positive people.

1 Nibbles:

cmae said...

I tried water aerobics once and loved it! It was much harder than I thought it would be but it was still fun. That's so cute that the lifeguard wasn't sure if it was okay to swim while you're preggers - hee hee!