Sunday, February 15, 2009

What Would You Do?

Or perhaps more precisely, what do you think I should do?

We met a new couple back in August 2007. We hit it off fairly well with them, especially the wife. Despite them living over an hour away we saw her/them four times between that first event and the end of November 2007.

After that, nothing. Thing is, I still have in my possession eight or so books of theirs that they'd lent me on that last visit. Added zing points: A(quite famous) author of some of those books is a family acquaintance of theirs.

I've called and left three different voice mail messages in the intervening time; not only enquiring after their health and suggesting we catch up, but also to inform them I have the books still and ask what do they want me to do with them. (last call was less than six months ago.)

No response.

Same with the two emails I sent, the second of which bounced due to email address no longer being valid.

No one else who befriended the couple has heard from them either. And the last we'd all heard was that there may have been some marital troubles going on. But, we don't know how much of that was actual marital problems and how much was the woman complaining about her husband during one of her, what she herself called, "bitchy and depressive cycles."

They'd also talked about moving to a different location within Southern California, something to do with his work. As of an hour ago, Whitepages.com still shows them living at the same address. But, since I know of several people whose addresses listed are completely incorrect or still their old addresses, I don't know how accurate that information is.

I really don't want this grocery bag of books sitting on my coffee table or in my house anymore, yet I don't feel comfortable just donating them to a library. (What if the couple reappears soon after that and I've given away those family friend's books!) I've also thought about mailing the books back to them, but again a lot of money for something that may be returned to sender. I also don't feel it's appropriate to show up on the doorstep with the books.

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

0 Nibbles: