Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Mindful vs Mindless

Colour me shocked and stunned, people. Shocked and stunned! What a difference it made eating my meals today without reading. I had a tuna sandwich for breakfast. Lunch was a big bowl of cereal and milk...and it hit me after only a few spoonfuls too many that I was actually full. As opposed to finishing the bowl then going on for seconds and thirds. Snack was a bit of bread with some chilli con carne. And dinner was a chunky serve of vegetarian lasagne.

Today I ate easily only a third of what I've been eating recently. I may have some fruit or salad later if I'm hungry again, but then again, if I'm not, then I won't.

Mindless eating feels good because the taste buds are in heaven, but mindful eating feels good on a whole different level of great!

4 Nibbles:

Marshmallow said...

Yay for Mindful eating! That's pretty damn cool :-D

It's weird for me, I've found that I don't eat more when I'm watching a TV program (not the same as watching a movie) or reading blogs, I eat the same amount, but much slower. But, if I read a book, then yep, the mindless eating is there.

Whichever way you look at it, yaaay for knowledge! :-D

Fat Lazy Guy said...

Very cool :) I've found being mindful of my hunger before having something to eat has helped cut things down for me as well. I can get an idea of how much food I need, and go off that, rather than just fill a plate up/eat what's there.

cmae said...

I love that last sentence! It's so good it's quotable! Good for you for finding the joy in mindful eating!

cmae said...

I love that last sentence! It's so good it's quotable! Good for you for finding the joy in mindful eating!