Sunday, June 01, 2008

McFarty Salad.



Here's the bean salad I mentioned I was gonna make in Thursday's post. It ended up being nothing like the salad I set out to make; mainly because I didn't have most of the ingredients.

Knowing we have some corn tortillas, and a lot of coriander, that need using up, I decided to go with a Mexican theme.

Last night, after cooking the beans, I put half in the fridge to make other dishes today, and the remainder I chucked in one of my favourite salad bowls. Okay, Mexistyle should have onion, garlic, tomato, red capsicum, coriander, lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, oregano. Ooooh and a few shakes of Cholula sauce.

Mmm. . .smells kinda like a beany pico de gallo.

After having to dump it out into a bigger bowl to mix the coriander in, I tasted it. A bit heavy on the lemon, but will let it sit to mingle. So back into the bowl it went and into the fridge. This morning I got up and sure enough, there was a big hole in the flavour. The main tastes were garlic, lemon and a bit of bean flavour.

Neither Alaskaboy or I were sure what the flavour hole was, so I went and looked at some other recipes online...and pretty much all the mexi style ones had corn in them. Now, to me, corn kernels and beans just don't go together. I enjoy eating the beans with corn tortillas or chips, but not with corn kernels. Am guessing the flavour/texture is just not right for my taste buds. Cannot do succotash (GAG!) to save my life.

But, what does corn add? Sweetness. Allrighty then, lets add some sugar. So, I scooped out 3/4 cup portion of the salad to play with. Some sugar, more salt and pepper, more ground cumin, more dried oregano, a dash more olive oil. Hey, not too bad.

Chucked that back in the bowl and then added enough of the other ingredients to jazz up the whole salad. But, still not quite right. Lemon is still too harsh. Got it! Some white vinegar to cut the lemon.

Perfect!

Now, the mingle test. We're planning on this for dinner tonight with mexican rice and the tortillas. Will let yas know how it turns out.

2 Nibbles:

Marshmallow said...

YUM!

I look forward to reading about the dinnaaaar!

Kada said...

Hehehe, couldn't help the little teaser post. Juuust for you!