Friday, January 25, 2008

This bod was made for walking.

With Alaskaboy being off work as a result of the Writers' Strike, me having PMS and both of us having jet lag as well as a cold, last week was pretty much a Babylon 5 marathon. (I gave him the whole five seasons for Christmas.) This week we've been also watching, but not 10-12 episodes per day.

Lo and behold, that freed us up to be able to go to the laundromat yesterday and do some washing. I had some new tops that I was trying to ensure would be dried on their correct settings, but Alaskaboy went through and started the driers before I was ready. (Fair enough since he's usually the one that does all the washing, he's used to being in control.) We had a little spat about it, with me saying the classic female logic, "It's too late now!" in response to his offer to open the dryers and sort it how I wanted.

I stormed off in a huff to let him regain control of his hot air kingdom, and studiously ignored him by reading. Sort of. I somehow noticed, despite all my powers of ignoring, that he puttered and fussed about, making sure his loyal subjects were all turning and heating as they were s'posed to. And I sat there wanting with all the wanting I had, to go murder some chips or burgers or SOME denizens of one of the eatery places within easy walking distance. I wanted to tear off big chunks so their greasy, saucy guts exploded in my mouth with salty satisfaction.

It was only then that I realised I wasn't hungry, I was angry, and getting angrier by the second. I tried directing my Glare of Grievance at Alaskaboy, but the glare kept failing to hit the target. No matter how much I focused, or how white hot my anger got, the little turd avoided so much as even a glancing blow. Buggerit! That meant it wasn't him I was actually angry at, and the tiff with him was a smokescreen for what I was really angry about. Which of course makes a woman angrier when she's robbed of the convenient target.

And I'd left my thinking cap at home. I'd have to do this the good old fashioned way, with brain power. I stared blindly at the pages of my book and let my mind wander back through the course of the day. Our new mattress was making me sore as my body was adjusting to it.

Annoying, yes, but not what I was after.

I didn't want to be doing laundry, I much preferred to be on the couch watching Babylon 5. Again, annoying, but more annoying not having any more warm clothes to wear. Therefore, watching t.v. wasn't as fun as it had been last week and washing was necessary.

The cold breeze wafting through the door?

No.

The fact that I'd possibly fallen into dieting thinking by starting this 100 miles in 100 days challenge? No. That's not dieting, my body was actually asking for the walk.

The walk?

A-HA!

It was raining, and I'd wanted to go for a walk. I'd even thought about walking to and from the laundromat...but it was raining quite heavily. There went my newfound desire to walk. It's not fair, I WANT to do this, and now it's raining, and none of my wet weather coats fit me properly, and I don't want to get chilled etc and possibly bring my cold back. GAAAHHHH.

Whiny, and angry. No wonder I was spoiling for a fight.

Fuckit! There's still awhile to go before the dryers are done, there's eaves outside along the surrounding shops, I can do laps of the sheltered parts of the street and the inside of the laundromat. Who cares if I look silly? Ten laps and it should be at least half a mile.

12 laps later and some working out on Google Maps and my calculator...I'd actually already walked my mile. I didn't need to go any extra.

Today, we got up, had some breakfast, then went for the mile walk. Funnily enough, the aches and pains from the ten days of sitting have started to ease. I think my body has recovered enough that it actually likes the walking now, and has actually been missing all the activity we did in Australia.

Isn't that cool! So, I'm off to stick another star on my chart, and I'm looking forward to tomorrow's walk now.

1 Nibbles:

Marshmallow said...

Ahhhhhhh! What a different sort of craving THAT must have been, whoop whoop, intuitive exercising! :-D