Sunday, September 09, 2007

It must be good, right?

We went to a barbeque on the 26th of August. I had to prepare food right in the midst of a taste bud crisis! Luckily we had some of Alaskaboy's marinated beef in the freezer, and he was making up an Aussie delicacy called Cheesymite Scrolls--or Cheddarmite depending on which bakery franchise you buy them from in Australia--to share. That left me to prepare a salad or side dish of some kind.

I admit I panicked, completely. How the hell am I s'posed to cook when I'm exhausted, severely lacking in two essential senses for cooking, and I have only minimal appetite? Faaaark! I was going to make potato salad, but that really is a dressing I make by taste, like most of my recipes, and potato salad dressing is tricky to get juuuuust right. Besides, I really wasn't in the mood for a heavy, rich dressing when slowly introducing my digestive system to things other than broth, bread, eggs, bananas etc.

AHA! Pasta Salad. Okay, that's something I can make with my eyes closed..and didn't we just buy some roasted red peppers and fresh parsley the other day? {cue fossicking around in cupboards and fridge}

SHIT!

No, I'd only thought about buying the parsley, and hadn't, because they didn't have Italian parsley. Much nicer tasting than the curly English stuff.

NOW what'll I do?

Hmm.. we have that unopened jar of artichokes...and some sundried tomatoes in oil...and onion. Okay let's make a vegetabley, Mediterraneanish, fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of salad. Thankfully if it's no good I'll still be able to eat some. ;)




So, I whipped up a new pasta salad. (There wasn't ingredients for a simple garden salad or I woulda gone with that!) Made enough for us to eat at the bbq, with leftovers for the following day's lunch.

Had a new writing-related group to go to the other Friday. And it was bring a plate. Well, fridge was even barer than the other day, but there was enough ingredients left to make another of the pasta salads...this time we had some cucumbers to add to it as well. Yippee!



That bowl was only one of two dishes scraped clean at the end of the night.

I made it again today for lunch..but there was no cucumbers, they'd gone off, so I used some celery instead. No spirelli either, so in lieu there was farfalle.

Bonus was I also remembered to measure out ingredients this time! And take photos.

Considering this is the third time I've made it in less than two weeks, and the fourth time we've eaten it, WITHOUT me being tempted to fiddle with the ingredients, I'm figuring it must be good enough to be a keeper. Also good enough to actually share with others.



The salad went particularly well with the grilled chicken breast and a glass of sparkling pomegranate juice. Good news is my taste buds are a little improved since I first made it and I can enjoy it a bit more each time I've eaten it. :) Alaskaboy's comment was "See, you can still cook, even when you can't taste."

If anyone wants the recipe, please do let me know. It's very easy to make.

1 Nibbles:

Marshmallow said...

Me me me me me me me! I want eeeeeeeeeeeet! A recipe would go down a treat! :-D