Friday, July 13, 2007

Sweet Soy Saucey Goodness.

My Mum was telling me the other day on the phone how my brother has been using kecap manis lately, but she finds it too sweet. I haven't had any kecap manis since moving here, and so had a sudden craving for some after that conversation. Went out and bought some and made a chicken and veg stir fry.
Kecap manis...again something I had neglected to introduce Alaskaboy to, along with the deliciousness that is mint and basil together in a Thai dish. So a Thai-style stirfry is what I went with. Was pissed off that we didn't have any ginger in the house, but funnily enough, it tasted fine without it.

Here's the recipe if anyone is interested.
Thai Style Chicken Stir Fry.
Serves 2.

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts – cut into short strips. If you don't like chicken, go with equiv amount of prawns/shrimp
1 smallish carrot – cut in half lengthwise then on the bias
1 smallish zucchini - cut in half lengthwise then on the bias
Half a red capsicum – cut into strips
approx 5-6 button mushrooms - cut in half then sliced
sesame oil for cooking.
Approx 2 Tbs Kecap manis – a sweet Indonesian soy sauce
Approx 2 cups cooked Rad Na, Udon or some other kind of wide rice noodle (Don't want too many noodles they're just a part of the ingredients, not the main one!)


Sauce:
approx 2 Tbs chopped fresh mint
approx 1.5 – 2 tsp dried basil (or 2Tbs chopped fresh)
sambal oelek or chilli paste – to taste
1 clove garlic or approx ¼ tsp garlic powder
juice of half a lime

As in all Asian cooking, it is best to prepare all ingredients before starting to cook.

Method:
1. Put on a pot of water to boil for noodles.
2. Mix all of sauce ingredients together in a mortar and pestle or a small bowl/cup. Let sit whilst preparing other ingredients.
3. Heat sesame oil in wok or heavy skillet / frying pan, add chicken and stir until half cooked. Blanch carrots in boiling water.
4. Add veggies to wok and continue cooking for approx 3-5 minutes.
5. Add sauce ingredients stirring to coat well. (Now's the time to add the dry noodles to the pot of boiling water.)
6. Let meat 'n' veggies cook for another few minutes then add the kecap manis to the wok. Stir to heat through then turn off heat once cooked to your satisfaction.
7. Drain and add noodles to wok.


Was rather tasty if I do say so myself. :)

5 Nibbles:

lisa jane said...

ooh yum yum yum.you just reminded me that we are all out of it, must put on shopping list now!

lisa jane said...

ahhh just a question? Did you and marshy get married or something and i'm just not aware of it?

poor me, always out of the loop! : )

Marshmallow said...

Bahahahhaaha! As much as I'd like to have Kada as my wife, I'm fixing up some technical stuff on this 'ere blog, and for that I needed access - which is why you see both of us as contributors. Really, I'm just doing the geek work behind the scenes ;-)

Kada said...

"As much as I'd like to have Kada as my wife"

You know she only wants me for my mad cooking skillz!

Marshmallow said...

Its a fair relationship - you only want me for my mad coding skillz :-P